Saturday, September 17, 2005

IPOD!!......

Finally got my ipod yesterday... waited like 2 months for it to arrive. God damn all the staff in the computer store. Anyway other than the design, i'm not terribly impressed with it.

- IT DOES NOT WORK WITH SERVICE PACK 1. Well why not just upgrade to service pack 2 then? COS MY CDKEY FAILS MICROSOFT'S INTEGRITY CHECK. Well, thats because i'm obviously running a ... *ahem*... non.... origi... *ahem* windows, and thus i cant transfer songs from my pc to the ipod. I have to transfer my laptop and then transfer to ipod from there. Its a whole lot of trouble since i download everything on my main pc.

- the official program used, itunes, does NOT support transfer of music from ipod to pc. This is really quite a bad thing about the ipod. I wont be able to transfer music to my friend's pc if i wanted to. Or say if i edited tags and organized my music library on my ipod and i wanted to transfer it back to my pc, i cant, and my music library on my pc would still be in a mess. I found a few third party programs that could do transfer to pc, BUT they all required the user to buy a license or purchase the software. I'm definitely NOT going to pay for such a simple function like this which i feel should be inbuilt in any mp3 player package.

- I feel that the sound is distinctively worse than my creative nomad jukebox 3. I seriously do not regard myself as an audiophile, but even the likes of me could detect a significant difference between the sound of the 2 devices. Ipod's sound isnt bad, but it kinda disturbs me that my jukebox 3 sounds better. Which means i could probably find better sounding devices out there at around the same price as an ipod, according to audiophiles on forums.

- I am disturbed by information that apple charges very high prices for repairs of ipod. Someone whom i know owns an ipod had a spoild his usb/firewire port after his warranty expired. And according to him it would cost around 2-3 hundered to repair it, almost as much as buying a brand new mp3 player. Which means that if my ipod spoils after 1 year, i'd have to splurge on a new mp3 player yet again.

- last but not least, it does not support WMA at all. that means my 749 wma songs will never find their way onto the ipod, unless i compromise with a very significant quality losage by converting all of them into other file formats. This really, really bothers me as i have quite a number of songs i like alot among those 749 wmas.

Of course, the design absolutely rocks. But almost everything else sucks... even the interface, which i think isnt really powerful or feature-rich, though it is pretty intuitive... but i cant really say for sure cos i've only been using it for a day. I certainly kinda understand now why soooooooooooooo many people say that the ipod is overrated/overhyped. Looking at the not fantastic sound quality/lack of outofbox transfer to pc function/lack of wma support, I think it definitely loses out terribly in functionality, out of the box at least, to most, if not all other mp3 players on the market.

7 Comments:

Blogger Roger A. Tetrahart said...

Design is very much worth paying for.
For we live in a consumption culture.
Culture that some of us, luckily, just ignore.

Oh yea, Apple did came up with another program to do a two-way transfer, but still charging at less than 5 bucks a program. "Money faces", huh?

7:06 PM  
Blogger ckoo said...

Well... I never really could see the merits of iPod's design. It's like as if the designer got lazy and drew two rounded rectangles and two circles in Freehand and submitted it. And the iPod Mini, no matter how I look at it, still looks like a can of sardines to me. I'm not even going to comment about just how ridiculous the iPod Shuffle is.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well i got service pack 1 to work for it, i got a 3rd party freeware to transfer songs back to pc, kinda improved the sound quality with a little trick, and found replacements for most of my wma files.

most problems solved, have to try to get used to the interface next...

10:52 AM  
Blogger ckoo said...

so... to set the record straight, aple makes its consumers pay a premium for a device, then tell them to go figure out for themselves how to make the damn thing work like the other players in the market.

damn thing is supposed to work with what you have, not you making what you have work with it.

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well, might as well get the Sony Ericsson W800i woot! Dual role as mp3 player and HP! Cool huhz...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

not even 20gb is enough for me, let alone walkman phones...

getting a smartphone soon tho... for other purposes

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apple roxx! woohooo!!

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home